Thursday, 29 September 2016

How to beat public anxiety.

First of all my apologies for not uploading last Friday but I have been so super busy with college. Who else feels like there are not enough hours in the day.? You science students know what I'm talking about.

This post is super relevant for first years and for any college student really because no matter what you study in college presentations are unfortunately a necessary component. Some people wouldn't worry about public speaking but for most of us Its pretty nerve wrecking. Especially if you are a shy person.

I don't have a magic wand to get you out of that assignment but I do have some tried and tested tips to help with public speaking. These are tips that I found have worked for me.



Question Time

All presentations end the same way with a standard 2-3 minutes for questions. If no one volunteers to ask questions your lecturer will and trust me you don't want that. Your lecturer is bound to ask you way more in depth and harder questions. The way to get around this is by setting some questions and have your friends ask you them. This is not cheating, we all do this and trust me you will feel so much more relaxed because you already have an answer prepared.


Find a friend

Another tip I found relaxed me a lot and I stumbled upon by accident was to focus on a friend in the crowd. You should feel less nervous if you think your just talking to a friend. An important thing to note tho is you have to at least act like your talking to the crowd. Just look back to your friend when you need support.



Practice makes perfect!

If you go into a class without practicing your presentation, reading directly of flash cards or not knowing how to set up your presentation you will fail ! This isn't school your lecturer is not going to help you set up your computer. It's your job to be prepared.



Nervous habits !

Let's say your someone who touches their hair a lot. Hold a small rubber in the palm of your hand. No one will know it's there but you, when you feel like touching your hair which happens ten times more when you are nervous. Just squeeze the rubber. Another thing nervous people do is read directly off the flash cards. Huge no no shows you don't know what your talking about.



Dress to impress !

Weather your a guy or a girl this is supper important for many reasons. Number one reason if you dress nice you will feel nice and have a confidence boost. Number two I had a lecturer who was so impressed by the fact the people in my group dressed up for the occasion she gave us extra marks. And she also gave extra marks to any group who dressed up after us. For a guy it doesn't have to be a full suit although some people in my class did opt for that. It could be a pair of jeans and a nice shirt. For a girl it doesn't mean heels. It means maybe a nice top or blazer and some jeans.

Motivation !
This is one thing I will always do before a presentation. To get motivated I do two things. Number 1, I listen to super up beat motivating music it could be some beyonce, eminem whatever gets you pumped. Number 2,  I look at inspirational quotes from women in power Michelle Obama, lady gaga or my favourites Tina Fay and Amy Poehler here are some of my favourites.

















These tips will help you to feel less stressed and more prepared. If you want to see some tips on how to do group projects comment below. I have done quite a few presentations, public speaking and meetings with committees and I have found that every time I do it gets that little bit easier. Have confidence in yourself and remember that the other people n your class are just as nervous as you are. If it doesn't go like you planned or you get some particularly harsh criticism just leave that negativity in the class room. One bad presentation does not define you don't let it make or brake you.

No comments:

Post a Comment