Wednesday, 9 November 2016

How to improve your grades.

Hey guys, we are half way through the semester now so you should have some indication of how your doing in college. If your not happy with your results but feel like your trying your best you should really evaluate exactly what you are doing.

For example I could read ten pages of notes and know them off by heart but if I cant put that information into a question then I don't actually understand it and that's not studying right. I made that mistake for a long time when I was in school and it took me actually sitting down and writing out exactly how I study to see what I was doing wrong.

So if you are struggling with your grades and want some tips here are a few of the easiest ones.





Ask your lecturer where you are going wrong

I understand that a lot of people would be nervous when approaching a lecturer but you shouldn't be. These people are here to help you with your education and what's more is that they want to help. I know I can go to anyone of my lecturers when I am struggling and they will do their best to help me. Maybe you have a specific lecturer you get on well with maybe you could go to them if you are having trouble in a class.




Read feedback you have already gotten

A lot of my lecturers will give detailed feedback on reports I have handed up. It is so important to read these points and make sure you don't make the same mistakes again because that will annoy your lecturers. The point of doing these reports is to learn from past mistakes, a lot of times what's in the report is also likely to come up in a written exam.




Look at exam papers

Ok so I sound like a broken record but honestly this is the holy grail to doing well. Lecturers rarely change a paper drastically. So if you can do an exam paper you can definitely do the exam. I always use exam papers. I find exam papers so helpful for classes I miss. I use the questions to show me what topics I missed and the I look that up in books or on Youtube.




Ask your friends for help

This is by far the easiest option. Your friends will want to help you but don't be selfish. What I mean by that is people will happily help you if you are confused or need some extra info but they will not help if you just couldn't be bothered to study and expect everyone else to pull you along. Having a study group is a good idea because even if two people sit in the same class the information they retain can be very different. So they can look at the same topic in a different perspective.




For lab assignments follow the format given to you

This is by far the most common way people loose marks. Trust me I have gone up two grades by simply changing my format around. Every lab instructor will have a different style of marking and will look for a different format. Usually the preferred format will be given to you on day one, stick to it !! What I mean by format is reference style, the key paragraphs, spacing, font size and some may look for an abstract.

No comments:

Post a Comment