Friday, 30 June 2017

Gap year

Hi guys ... feel like I've taken a bit of a gap year when it came to the blog lately.

It's leaving cert time for thousands of students in Ireland and with that comes a lot of pressure to know what you want to do with your life. The thing is most students have next to no clue what they want to do when they leave college and that's fine.

Sometimes taking a year off can be the best thing for you. When I say take a year off I don't me sitting around doing nothing for a year that won't prepare you for anything. I mean asking yourself what could I do this year that would prepare for college. What is stopping you right now ?

Maybe your not sure what you want to study at all, maybe your stuck between two choices and can't decide which one to take, are you under eighteen and worried your not ready for such a big change. Many students are under eighteen when they start college and for most of them it makes no difference but for some people it's just too soon. So many of my friends started college young and wish they had taken the extra year out. As well as not being emotionally ready in some cases, you also won't get to experience a lot of the night life and extra curricular activities that your over eighteen friends will.

When I finished school I got my place in college but I knew I wasn't ready to jump straight into a four year degree that I really wasn't even sure I wanted. I made the conscientious decision to take the year out. I didn't sit at home for a year I enrolled in a general science course for a year it helped me get a better understanding in science. If the reason your not ready for college is because your unsure of your course choice than I strongly suggest looking into 1 year courses.

Maybe you feel college isn't for you at all or you need time to mature and experience life. Take the year out and work or travel it could be just what you need to clear your head and find out what you truly love. At the end of the day there is nothing worse than being two or three years into a degree and thousands of euro wasted when you realise your not happy. Do what it is you love and don't be sorry for doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment